Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mind over matter...?

I thought I was at peace with being a single mum. I mean I've been doing this for six years. I was a single mum when my son was born. I was a single mum through most of my pregnancy. It's all I know. I manage. I do better than manage.

But since I've been sick for the last seven weeks (nothing life threatening or serious), I've had to deal with a lot of grief and tears. Grief born of having no one to care for me or my son when I feel sick, drained or exhausted. Single parenthood and illness are not a good mix. I've even felt depression raise its ugly head because I haven't exercised in over a month. My motivation is so low and I just don't see the point of anything. My studies are suffering because I can't concentrate - I just want to stay in bed.

I've promised myself tomorrow will be different. Despite feeling under the weather I really have to make an effort to get on task. I've put an affirmation near my bed. I will wake up and believe in myself. I can do this. Tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and feel YES!! I feel great, healthy and energetic. Full of vim and vigor!

Ok I'm off to bed to visualise my new self before I go to sleep. Tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better... And I CAN RELATE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I been sick too this weekend and so I've felt the exact same way. Luckily theres my mom who took my son so I would rest or I don't know how I would have managed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please continue to write. What you have to say is really important to others out there struggling with single parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that this post is almost two years old now, but that does not take away its relevance. Dealing with sickness and ill health are real big issues for all solo parents. Especially for those who do not have any family members who can pitch in.
    I have been a "solo" mum emotionally since the birth of my child as my husband couldn't embrace parenthood with much enthusiasm. Now, our daughter is 3 and things are no better so we have decided to part ways.
    So, now that I am going to be a solo mum in all intents and purposes, the first scary thought is " what happens if I am really sick?"
    Would love to hear from all solo mums who are in the same predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im not sure how but we cope, i have been a single mum for 3 yrs now in that time ive had little or no help.. I find it hard but i get there its obviously how my life was meant to be.. i go through times of depression but its something im hopeing will get easier in time..:) my daughter is now six

    ReplyDelete
  6. solo mums can really be isolated especially with no support, and thats when life is a constant battle with depression. Other mums with dad's at home that contribute cant relate i find, so its up to the sole parents to help each other out when they can!
    lets face it, it's tough and it sux doing everything, all the time with no back up. ive learnt thats its important to also take a little time for yourself without the guilt (mine is now to work out, free happy chemicals!). But i have to question when if ever, does a solo mum feel total acceptance in society as a norm. we should do as i think we are nearly 30-40% of the parenting community! we need more support groups, we need to help eachother in communities by sharing houses, caring for eachothers children, (babysitting swaps)its the only way for mums to protect themselves from the dark cloud that can take over.strength to all the mums and their bubs x

    ReplyDelete