Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthday phobia

Confession: I have never thrown a birthday party for my son.

I must be the most neurotic parent on the planet because I've never been able to organise a birthday party for my son due to my own fears. It's just always felt too stressful. Most of the time I operate from a place of exhaustion and complete overwhelm, so the thought of organising a party for a bunch of little kids just freaks me out. Throw in parents I don't know, a house that needs spring cleaning and I'm pretty much ready for a meltdown. Did I mention that I'm a single mother with no ex or family support within 2000 km? Yep that too.

But this year I felt I couldn't fob him off with a "How about we visit a themepark?" as I did last year (and the year before that). Especially now that he's in school with new friends. I talked it over with fellow single mum and neighbour, Alice. When out of the blue she just jumped in and offered to host the event! "It'll be easy", she said. "12-3, Feed them. Play games. Swim in the pool." She did make it sound easy. I guess it is, when you have some support.

That was Saturday. It's Tuesday now and we have done the shopping, organised the balloon bender, ordered the cake and he's handed out invitations. I'm still nervous as hell but he's so excited and happy that my stuff is definitely taking a back seat.

What can I say? We single parents need support. It's been hard for me to find it sometimes. But when it's offered I think you have to take it.

Universe please send more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment